Search This Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

It's Just Lunch...and an arm!

So...I have a friend who suggested that I try another way of dating since I'm off online dating sites and the idea of meeting someone while I'm visiting random places is growing bleaker as the days go by.  She suggested that I try an actual dating service (think Bravo's Millionaire Matchmaker minus the millionare) that her friend tried and is having a lot of luck with.  I'll try anything once so I go online to search for the site.  When I get to the site, everything seems cool.  I know that it's probably too good to be true - especially since I don't see a price for this fantabulous service.  Now, Vetta is skeptical of this service but we both decide to fill out the initial survey to see what it's all about.  Survey/Informational complete, now we're just waiting on the call.

I get a call around 3:30 pm from one of the representatives from the company.  I'm still at work so I instruct her to call me back after 5 pm.  When we finally speak on the phone, she goes into the usual spill about the history of the company, what the service is about, what the rules are, etc.  I'm thinking that it's a really convenient service and that I should have tried it out sooner, but Vetta is searching for the catch. Sure enough...it comes out. 

The conversation goes a little like this:

Service Rep (SR): So what do you do?

Me: I work in non-profit. (I go a little more into detail with her but y'all don't want to hear all of that)

SR: Oh that's great, how do you normally meet people?

Me: I usually meet men when I go out to different places, but to be honest I don't really get approached.  It's like I intimidate them.

SR: Yeah, we get that a lot.  Have you ever tried approaching them?

Me: Yes, but then they start to think that I'm supposed to initiate everything and that's just not the way things should be done.

SR: Yes, I understand.  Well  you sound like you would be a great fit for the company and I should be able to find you plenty of matches.  All I need you to do is (this is where I start to get a little uneasy) come in for about a hour so that you can complete a profile (that's not bad), tell me exactly what you are looking for in a mate (still okay), bring your schedule for two weeks so that I can start setting you up on lunch dates and dinner dates (okay...maybe it's not so bad), and bring your credit card or check for the $1,900 (yes you read that correctly) yearly fee (Umm...come again? NINETEEN HUNDRED dollars for you to set me up with someone that I've never seen and don't know?  Great concept buuuuut I'll pass!)

Yeah...needless to say, I will not be signing up for this service.  It still baffles me as to how someone would & could justify charging someone $1,900 to fix them up on blind dates?  Maybe I'm in the wrong profession...

Bright Side: I got a really good laugh today AND I know that there's somewhere I can go if I find my self at the age 40+ with 10 cats and the highlight of my day is when all 10 find their litter boxes and I remember all of their names.

5 comments:

  1. Wow!!! I'm still stuck 1900????
    Re I think you just found our new business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT!?!?!? $1900. I wonder how many people actually fork over the money to this company. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the same response that I had. The rep had the nerve to tell me that plenty of people my age and younger are in their database and that she was going to put my file on hold. I told her not to save the space on her desk. Just.Couldn't.Do.It.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever seen Millionaire Matchmaker? She charges $25,000 plus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. $$1900 umm was she smoking crack??? she must have been on sumthin to be able to say that...

    ReplyDelete