Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Adventures of Rick (Part I)

Hey guys, I'm back and hopefully won't take such a long hiatus next time. Well I just turned the big 3-0 and I'm trying to learn to be a bit more consistent in my life.  I love blogging and having an outlet to share my random thoughts and experiences but sometimes I can let life stop my progress. Anywho, I have both a random thought and experience to share today!

A couple of months ago my aunt organized a volunteer outing for our church at the Houston Food Bank.  While there, I couldn't help but notice one of the guys in our group (probably because he was the only one who looked under 50, was taller than me, and had all of his teeth).  I kept an eye on our distance from each other throughout our experience, but the opportunity never came up to say "hi" or play the damsel in distress role.  Our volunteer shift was coming to an end and I started to give up hope.  When the staff instructed us to go into the debriefing room, I gave up and walked over to the sink to wash my hands.  While mentally singing my ABC's while I washed my hands, guess who walked up to the sink to do the same?! Yep, it was Rick! 

Since this was probably my only time I had to say something or forever hold my peace. I put my big girl panties on and just offered a simple "Hi, how are you?" Attached to the best smile that I could put on after having only a hr of sleep (another long story).  He offered up a very nice smile himself, and responded "I'm doing pretty good and yourself?"  I answered and he asked a few follow up questions, then our conversation was over.  Although nothing was exchanged, I felt pretty good about myself for stepping out and starting up a conversation with him.  So, lets fast forward passed the accolades given in the debriefing room and let's go to checkout.  I was walking around trying to get pictures and information from my group so I was walking in and out of the facility (partly because Rick was standing in line to check out of the volunteer line).  I still kept my eye on Rick so that I could offer up an extra pep in my step when he was close.  By the time I go back up to the front of the lobby, he had already finished checking out. Oh well! I was already comfortable with my progress.  With my head held high I walk out and I see this gray sports car pulling up to the corner and in the back of my mind I'm like..."I hope this is him"! The window rolls down and Yep! It is!  He says that he's interested in getting to know me better and then asks for my number.  We exchanged numbers and I went on about my business now with a reason for the extra pep in step!  

I'll fill you in on what happened next! 

Bright Side: At close to 30 years old, I'm finally coming into my own and going for what I want.  I'm really excited about the possibilities, but I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic and low. We all know how I am with those.

No comments:

Post a Comment